Chief Data Scientist - Fintech
- Our mission as a leading investment management firm is to help our clients achieve their long-term financial goals. We believe our associates are the key to this mission and we are always looking for talented individuals who share our commitment to our client's success.
Technologists at are playing a key role in helping build the future of financial services, working hand-in-hand with business partners to create client experiences that are changing the way people invest. We’re looking for a Leader and Mentor to manage our Data Science team in our Technology Development Center in Union Square. We seek technologists with a fresh perspective who are passionate about solving complex business, data and technical challenges.
You’ll work with smart, talented people across our business to create groundbreaking, next-generation applications for n-tier cloud architectures. You’ll be involved, hands-on, through the entire development cycle. And you’ll redefine the way our traders, portfolio managers and analysts serve our clients.
We will expect you to be agile / to lead / to think outside the box. In return, we’ll give you challenging work that has an impact / Opportunities to learn and grow / and a collaborative culture that encourages every member of our team to bring their point of view to the table—because that’s how we help our clients succeed.
The Data Science Manager was established to provide digital solutions and leading analytical expertise on new and novel approaches to problems and methodologies to drive better investment and service to our clients. This person will lead a team that provides models and solutions to both our Investments and Client development channels.
- Ideal candidate will have strong collaboration skills as well as possess statistical, mathematical, predictive modelling and business strategy skills to build the algorithms necessary to ask the right questions and find the right answers.
- The incumbent will be expected to develop attribution, segment and predictive models to support various strategies. It is expected this will be accomplished through pilot, test and learn delivery practice to support a wide range of services and projects.
- Equally important to possessing strong technical skills, the ideal candidate will be a strong communicator able to communicate their findings, orally and visually. They need to understand how the products are developed and even more important, as big data touches the privacy of consumers, they need to have a set of ethical
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process.
- Exceptional technology skills; recognized by your peers as an expert in your domain.
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review or pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches.
- Seeks data from, gains opinions on industry trends, issues and solutions. Formally or informally benchmarks IT’s processes, vendor experiences and priorities against other organizations in the industry. Takes appropriate actions as a result.
- Directly and indirectly leads a team of Data Scientists in the development and implementation of solutions and applications across the firm
- Monitors and motivates team members work performance through coaching, one on ones, and development planning
- Access the validity and rigor of new data sources and approaches, and the capabilities of potential solutions.
- Oversee data-focused initiatives already in place and being developed, and drive developments in advancing big-data and analytic services.
- Previous experience providing coaching and mentoring to team members in order to deliver quality service and solutions to business customers
- A thorough understanding of applied statistics including sampling approaches, causal modeling, time series analysis and data mining techniques
- Experience in working with large structured and unstructured data sets
- Fluency in the languages of data manipulation (e.g. SQL) and statistical analysis (e.g. R or Python/NumPy), with ability to code (e.g. PHP) a plus, Java, Ruby, Clojure, Matlab, Pig or SQL
- Understanding of Hadoop, Hive and/or MapReduce
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Conceptual modelling
- Statistical analysis & Predictive modeling
- Hypothesis testing
- Ability to successfully partner and communicate with all levels of an organization
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively both with IT, with business management and a demonstrated ability to influence and impact the business
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge relationships resulting in successful partnerships
- Strong negotiation skills, business acumen and customer focused
- Experience within Asset Management, Hedge fund or Investment Bank
- Confident communicator; able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
- Enthusiasm for learning & results oriented
- Strong academic record and a BA/BS degree with high mathematical and computing content (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics)