The Data Scientist role has been established to provide digital solutions and leading analytical expertise on new and novel approaches to problems and methodologies to drive customer journeys and content.
- Ideal candidate will have strong collaboration skills as well as possess statistical, mathematical, predictive modelling and business strategy skills to build the algorithms necessary to ask the right questions and find the right answers.
- The incumbent will be expected to develop attribution, segment and predictive models to support customer acquisition strategies, primarily for digital channels. It is expected this will be accomplished through pilot, test and learn delivery practice to support a wide range of services and projects in the distribution and sales channels.
- Equally important to possessing strong technical skills, the ideal candidate will be a strong communicator able to communicate their findings, orally and visually. They need to understand how the products are developed and even more important, as big data touches the privacy of consumers, they need to have a set of ethical responsibilities.
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process.
- Exceptional technology skills; recognized by your peers as an expert in your domain.
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review or pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches.
- Seeks data from, gains opinions on industry trends, issues and solutions. Formally or informally benchmarks IT’s processes, vendor experiences and priorities against other organizations in the industry. Takes appropriate actions as a result.
- Access the validity and rigor of new data sources and approaches, and the capabilities of potential solutions.
- Oversee data-focused initiatives already in place and being developed, and drive developments in advancing big-data and analytic services.
- Develop and improve methods for measuring the impact of Sales and Marketing content driven campaigns.
- Establish measurement approaches to assess relative performance of advertising strategies within our sales and marketing channels.
Required Technical Experience:
- A thorough understanding of applied statistics including sampling approaches, causal modeling, time series analysis and data mining techniques
- Experience in working with large structured and unstructured data sets
- Fluency in the languages of data manipulation (e.g. SQL) and statistical analysis (e.g. R or Python/NumPy), with ability to code (e.g. PHP) a plus, Java, Ruby, Clojure, Matlab, Pig or SQL
- Understanding of Hadoop, Hive and/or MapReduce
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Conceptual modelling
- Statistical analysis & Predictive modeling
- Hypothesis testing
Required Domain Experience and Soft Skills:
- Ability to successfully partner and communicate with all levels of an organization
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively both with IT, with business management and a demonstrated ability to influence and impact the business
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge relationships resulting in successful partnerships
- Strong negotiation skills, business acumen and customer focused
- Confident communicator; able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
- Enthusiasm for learning & results oriented
- Strong academic record and a BA/BS degree with high mathematical and computing content (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Physics)