Lead UX/UI Designer
Los Angeles , California
About FTS Digital: Television Stations (FTS) Digital, the digital arm of one of the nation's largest owned & operated TV station groups, is committed to being the digital leader in Live, News and Sports. We invest in the very best people, technology and ideas, and we’re here to drive transformation of traditional media to exciting heights. We’re looking for creative, innovative leaders who are passionate about digital and crave a challenge. We’re all in. Are you? Let’s go!
Television Stations is one of the nation’s largest owned-and-operated network broadcast groups, comprising 29 stations in 18 markets and covering over 37% of U.S. television homes. This includes seven duopolies in the top 10 markets: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, D.C. and Houston; as well as duopolies in Minneapolis, Phoenix, Orlando and Seattle
Television Stations is a leader in local broadcasting and building an innovative business unit within a mature business to disrupt and grow in the area of digital media. As a key member of the FTS Digital team, you will partner with our product managers and engineering leads to build a UX/UI practice from the ground up in a company with a culture of innovation combined with a desire to produce best-in-class digital products.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Product and will play a key role in the evolution of Television Station's industry-leading web sites and mobile apps, as well as manage the day-to-day product design process and function. This role requires someone with a thorough understanding of current web trends and technologies & product design best practices while keeping in mind the user experience. We are looking for candidates with a passion for ideating and conceptualizing best-in-class digital products and experiences, and who can translate these qualities into winning Internet products and services.
The ideal candidate has a minimum of 5+ years of UX/UI design for consumer-facing products (responsive desktop/mobile web, native mobile and OTT). You must understand the relationship between content, technology, design, and integrating these in a way that helps our audience connect with our content. We are a fast paced, highly energetic, and tight-knit team that practices interdependent autonomy. We encourage creativity and finding new and better ways to do things. We need you to be supportive of the team and you should expect the team to support you.
- Conceptualize original ideas to solve complex design challenges with simple and elegant user experiences. Take a systematic approach to create clean, functional and aesthetically pleasing UI.
- Develop design concepts, wireframes, prototypes, usage scenarios, task analysis, specifications, and other UX / UI design deliverables.
- Manage product design process and implement workflow changes, as needed, including design version control for visual assets (concept to final comps to delivery). Advocate for market-leading design tools needed to deliver market-leading news and media products.
- Maintain and evolve digital brand identity and design frameworks for a portfolio of news and entertainment properties
- Solicit and gather design feedback by creating design review process, including facilitating regular meetings with stakeholders and Product Owners
- Understand and identify the UX needs of users through research and analytics tools
- Own the user experience for our digital consumer platforms. This includes full ownership of the cross-platform design templates, fonts, and other assets.
- Create and manage relevant digital design documentation, including style guides, that can be used by product team members to ensure consistent standards across FTS Digital
- Other duties as deemed necessary.
- Expertise in Zeplin, Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Abstract, wire-framing and prototyping software, etc.
- Deep understanding and passion for front-end design for consumer-facing products.
- Previous experience working closely with software engineers, product managers, and business owners through all product development phases.
- Previous experience with designing for multiple platforms and screens.
- Excellent communication skills. The right candidate must be able to articulate user experience design issues effectively.
- Ability to present and justify design thinking and rationale through key milestone deliverables to peers and stakeholders.
- Degree in design or related field preferred.
- You are self-motivated, detail-oriented, have strong organizational skills and possess a positive approach to all tasks.