VP of Engineering
Los Angeles , California
VP of Engineering
Under the corportae banner, we produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands, including: News, Sports, the Network, and the Television Stations. We empower a diverse range of creators to imagine and develop culturally significant content, while building an organization that thrives on creative ideas, operational expertise and strategic thinking.
We are looking for a Vice President of Engineering to join the team. Our premiere platforms are the digital foundation of all brands and their Web/Mobile/OTT properties. We love what we do and we’re looking for passionate, talented people to help us lead, grow and achieve our goals. Joining is an opportunity to be part of a highly successful dynamic team that has transformed the way people get their information as well as stream both live and VOD content at home and on the go.
The Vice President of Engineering will be responsible for leading a globally distributed team of engineers while being responsible for the architecture, product definition, and delivery of key public-facing websites and applications. Deep knowledge of technology concepts, strategies and methodologies is a must. Experience managing teams that interface with multiple services and complex APIs are key functions of this role, as are the abilities to examine both short and long-term needs of the organization and develop strategies, policies and procedures using secure and stable technology to deliver results.
We are looking for an innovative and creative technologist who is close to the latest trends, development standards, caching strategies, and automation approaches. They will ideally have strong expertise in working on Agile teams and/or within the SAFe framework. They are a high-energy leader who can be hands-on when needed, but will primarily be responsible for defining the architecture, strategy, and vision for our key platforms and content APIs. The challenges of building a team, inspiring and motivating the team to deliver best-in-class solutions, and preparing for large scale events such as the World Cup and Super Bowl will be core to the success of this role.
As an influential leader within the Technology organization, you must be comfortable working strategically with key business partners and have proven experience delivering high-profile projects. Extensive experience managing Engineering teams with an eye toward platform-level solutions is a must, along with a proven history of delivering high quality customer experiences.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Engineering Managers, Infrastructure, and PMO leadership to develop the technology vision, strategies, and operating plans and to ensure alignment with objectives
- Set and communicate a strategic technical vision in support of our projects, applications, and platforms
- Reinforce development best practices with engineering teams for quality assurance and deployment
- Participate in the strategic business and product planning processes
- Prioritize complex tasks to meet business requirements and constraints
- Optimize software development costs and staffing levels
- Balance individual client needs with larger business and platform priorities, seeking alignment with the business and product vision, strategies and objectives
About the technologies we use:
- AWS (EC2, Lambda, RDS, Elasticsearch, Elasticache, S3, SQS, Kinesis)
- DynamoDB, MySQL
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- Related technical experience with a specific emphasis on the development of next-generation highly cacheable and scalable web applications and APIs in an Agile environment
- Experience with business partner management and product design
- Experience building and monitoring systems built to support large scale live events
- Demonstrated experience in implementing innovative systems and practices in a large organization
- Bold leadership skills to confidently build, lead, and mentor teams while attracting top talent
- Deep understanding of the Digital landscape, social platforms, and technology trends
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to explain complex technical issues and translate them into everyday language
- In-depth knowledge of business operations, objectives and strategies