Web Designer (Visual) - non-profit/social good - $120k
We support people and organizations that want to make a difference, bringing them together at our website. Here, organizations can post their jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities. In turn, individuals can search these opportunities and find ways to take action. This ecosystem brings together tens of thousands of organizations and millions of people each month.
The Product and Development Team is seeking a truly outstanding Web Designer who will help communicate Idealist’s mission to a global audience, and implement it across multiple channels. Through your work, you will be encouraging people to find great opportunities, stand up and take action in their community, share stories of their impact, and make meaningful connections to effect change.
We’re looking for someone who approaches their work with boundless creativity, authenticity, heart, and dedication, and truly believes in Idealist’s mission.
You will collaborate with technical staff and non-technical stakeholders and its related properties and upcoming products. You will bring your talent and your focus on graceful, responsive, high-performance user experiences to bear on the site and our social properties, special projects, global events, and outreach efforts around the world.
This position is based full-time in our New York City office.
If you think this is you, and you want to work in a beautiful, fun office with a very talented group of people, please read on!
● Clarify, implement, and obsess about the look & feel of the site, its fit with our mission and values, and its usability on all platforms
● Improve front-end UX flows for all user groups
● Propose and create variations and iterations of finished comps, and wireframe and
design new products and features
● Work with the Product team to support user testing across multiple platforms
- experience designing for sites that display a lot of data: ie. finance or sports (scores, stats) experience
- candidates that are not married to a particular style or philosophy for design, and thus would be willing to give us options (not just minor iterations of a singular theme/style)
- candidates that have a track record for being able to respond to and incorporate feedback
- candidates that have portfolios that can show good design and implementation when possible (not just sketch files)
- candidates that have experience working within a tech team (though they may not specifically code, they have some understanding about how design and code interact)
● 5+ years of progressive, world-class web design capacity, including on websites that have distinctly different user groups engaged simultaneously
● Innate sense of elegant user interface, information architecture, web typography and design
● Experience with Sketch, wireframes, HTML/CSS/JS and/or React
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Strong CSS abilities and awareness of current trends and standards
● Experience designing/producing responsive sites and/or for mobile applications
● Obsessed about pixels, usability, desktop and mobile user experiences
● Preference for modern tools over static Photoshop designs
● Comfortable sharing and collaborating with developers, product management, and other key stakeholders
● Relish the process of dialogue, flexibility, user feedback, and constant iteration
● Disciplined self-starter who can work independently
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Eager to learn about us, our products, and where we’re going
● A desire for a fun environment with smart, quirky people
● Experience in the social impact sector, with an understanding of what sets our community apart
● Experience with styled-components and/or JSX
While we’re a nonprofit, we take benefits very seriously:
● 20+ vacation days in the first year, 5 weeks after
● 10 holidays and 1 optional holiday
● No set amount for sick days
● Comprehensive health benefits with significant employer contributions
● 401k plan with up to 6% match
● Up to $1,000 in learning and wellness reimbursements
● Plentiful snacks and beverages
● Weekly catered lunch + tea time
● Monthly massages
● 2 months of sabbatical leave after 7 years of service
● Time off to volunteer
● And more!