Lead Data Scientist - Graph-data focused ML startup - NYC - 210k base max
Our client deploys proprietary technology to run smarter advertising campaigns. They work with some of the nation’s most prominent corporations, non-profit organizations, and political candidates to activate and communicate with key target audiences.
Their core offering, the Social Graph, uses human and artificial intelligence to leverage personal connections for clients. The Social Graph maps over 4.5 billion relationships, and it’s growing every day.
They've recently closed a 6 million dollar round of growth funding with some of larger names in tech.
As a Data Scientist on their Modeling Team, you will be responsible for creation of powerful machine learning applications that leverage their Social Graph.
- Provide technical guidance to a growing team of engineers and data scientists
- Manage and mentor team members to ensure individual growth and fulfillment of long term goals
- Collaborate closely with product management to define and prioritize the technical vision of the product
- Work with complex and varying social and demographic data sets. Apply non-routine graph analysis, machine learning and statistical techniques to synthesize behavioral predictions.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of graph data structures, products, and metrics. Advocating for changes for achieving long term data science goals.
- Interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams. Work closely with analysts and data engineers to identify opportunities and assess improvements to products and deliverables.
- Select and deselect modeling priorities, insights and data based on ability to drive our desired outcomes.
- PhD or MS degree in Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Physics or other technical field
- 3-5+ years of relevant work experience in data analysis or related field. (e.g., as a statistician / data scientist / computational biologist / bioinformatician)
- 1+ years as a team lead or managerial role
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
- Experience with Spark, Scikit Learn, Github, AWS
- Machine Learning Expertise: classic supervised modeling algorithms (e.g. RF, LR, SVM), hyperparameter tuning, feature selection, dimension reduction and evaluation criteria
- Python Expertise: classes & inheritance, map & filter functions, generators, decorators, style guides, pylint, pytest, pdb
- SQL/Hive Expertise: where clauses, joins, group bys, windowing functions, exploding
- Prototyping Expertise: quick to build proofs-of-concept involving data munging, scripting and analysis
- Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, highly collaborative and ambitious startup work environment
- Additional deep expertise and experience with statistical data analysis such as linear models, multivariate analysis, stochastic models, sampling methods
- Demonstrated skills in selecting the right statistical tools given a data analysis problem
- Spark Expertise: SparkSQL, Caching, Checkpointing, Dataframes, RDDs
- Coding experience in R, Unix / Bash CLI
- Proficiency in modern ML frameworks (e.g. SparkML, PyTorch, TensorFlow)
- Familiarity with social network analysis, graph theory or machine learning on networks
- Significant interest or experience in politics, advertising technology and/or behavior modeling