Software Engineers, Platform (Java or Go)
San Francisco , California
Software Engineer, Platform
San Francisco or LA or Las Vegas
Skillz is on a mission to bring out the best in everyone through competition. Building the future of entertainment, Skillz is accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make competition accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
Skillz has been recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform dedicated to bringing out the best in everyone through competition. As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry, by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The Skillz platform empowers developers to create multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, with the goal of building the home of competition for all. Skillz has earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, and the number-one fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000. www.skillz.com
About the role:
As a Software Engineer at Skillz, you’ll use your technical expertise to lead the development of complex, multi-disciplinary applications. From large-scale consumer facing applications, to entirely new technologies and products, Skillz’s Engineers support and power the platform that makes eSport to everyone possible.
What you'll do:
- Develop complex, highly available, distributed, cloud-based solutions, and maintain its high level of quality software
- Develop industry leading technology to enable competitions, tournaments, and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world
- Consistently drives very high impact projects to completion that include components required by teams across the organization
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building great products as much as you do
- Professional Software Engineering Experience (5+ years) with background in object-oriented programming and experience with cloud providers (AWS, Azure, GCP, or other). Experience designing and optimizing MySQL or other RDBMS databases as well as nosql technologies.
- Customer/Product focused thinking and understanding. Able to balance between correcting technology debt while still continuously delivering value to customers. Partnership mindset.
- Problem solver who can adapt to changing business needs.
- Demonstrates responsibility for the quality of your team's work, while nurturing this same value in their team.
- Outstanding knowledge of public cloud providers and emerging service architectures.
- Have the ability to work in a dynamic agile development environment, as members of the team play a role in the entire life cycle of development.
- Understands and believes in our mission of making gaming better and eSports for everyone.
- Be productive, generates results, not work.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.